Snowstorm Stella Seizes Unsuspecting Northeast!

Winter Storm Stella buries Wilton in a late-season snowfall.

Gayathri, Staff Writer

Outside my window I could see mounds of snow piling up like the whipped cream on my hot chocolate. Snowflakes swirled around as trees shook them off. It’s hard to believe that this winter wonderland scene could be so destructive, but due to the feeling of surprise, the high winds and flooding, and potential non-natural disasters, it is safe to say that this blizzard named Stella paralyzed the northeast.

Over 6,000 flights were grounded, and even after the travel ban that CT governor Dan Malloy imposed was lifted, motorists were asked to stay home. Ms. Prata, the writing teacher of 6-Red, reported a whole 30 inches at her home in New Fairfield! Samira, a 6-Red student, also spoke about her experiences with the snowstorm, “My dad was coming home on the day of the storm from a business trip, and made a quick stop by his office in Manhattan. He was stuck there for two days.” Travel was plunged into chaos over snowstorm Stella as she seized the Northeast.

Not only did the battered Northeast have to worry about snow, but across the shoreline cases of flooding overflowed, and even inland, gusts of wind blew over the sturdiest trees. Emma and Owen of 6-Red both witnessed trees that had been knocked over, covering backyards and driveways. Stella didn’t hold back anything.

Natural forces worked hard to help the Northeast dive into to this disaster, but they didn’t work alone. North of Virginia, over 200,000 power outage cases were reported, while the DPH (Department of Public Health) warned Connecticut,  “If the power goes out, keep your portable generator outside.” Why, you might ask? Steps need to be taken to prevent deadly carbon dioxide poisoning. Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is an invisible odorless gas, and a silent killer. These nightmarish factors only contributed to Stella’s wrath.

A couple days before the storm, it felt like spring had finally arrived. The temperature climbed into the 60s, and this storm struck less than a week before the official start of spring. Little paid heed to Punxsutawney Phil’s ominous warning of six more weeks of winter. Even to those who had been warned, and were prepared, Stella felt sudden and surprising. Maddie of 6-Red expressed her annoyance at having to wait for the snow to melt before spring. Instead of peacefully fading out, winter went out with a bang.

As you can see, the force with which Stella hit, and plenty of extra factors added in made it certain that this storm will go down in the history books. Next time Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, I’m going to stock up on hot chocolate. I’m not taking any chances!