Middlebrook Honors Local Veterans

Middlebrook+students+and+Middlebrook+Principal%2C+Miss+Feltz%2C+welcome+veterans.+
Middlebrook students and Middlebrook Principal, Miss Feltz, welcome veterans.

Henry and James

November 11th has been recognized for 98 years. Ever since that date in 1918, the end of World War I, it has been accepted internationally as a day to honor the soldiers who once fought in the military. In the US, it is called Veterans Day (previously, it was Armistice Day), while the Canadian variation was dubbed Remembrance Day. On this date, at 11:00 exactly, the first world war ended with an truce between all of the countries who had fought. These countries included England, the US, Germany, the now-dissolved Austro-Hungarian Empire, Russia, and Canada.

Jump back to present-day Middlebrook school, and sixth-grade students celebrated the holiday by going to an assembly. Their family veterans were also invited.

Two separate afternoon assemblies were held to accommodate the student body. In both assemblies, students shuffled into the auditorium to loud, rhythmic drum music. It took about fifteen minutes, but the assembly kicked off with the presentation of a slideshow. This slideshow presented photographs of students and teachers with a family member who is also a veteran.  Next, the Middlebrook Singers led the students and visitors in two renditions of the National Anthem, and later sung the anthem of the different branches of the Military, including songs such as the Army’s “Caisson” song, and the Navy’s “Anchors Aweigh” anthem.

The main section of the assembly was divided between musical performances and students reading poems or stories they had written. All of the pieces were beautiful tributes to the veterans who fought to keep our country safe. Six-Green student, Michael, stated, “It was a very honorable and meaningful tribute.”

About halfway through the assembly, each visiting veteran’s name was read, along with their time in service, and they came up onto the stage behind the presenters.

The assembly closed with the playing of the well-known “Taps,” the most recognizable song for most veterans. At hearing this, all of the guests were so moved that every single one stood and removed their hat or saluted. Although some of them had served in the 70s or even during the Vietnam War, and one was on active duty, all recalled the song.

When the assembly finished, the students were able to shake hands with any or all of the veterans. Matthew, a sixth-grader, said, “We were honored…to host the veterans.” Other students agreed.  These people joined the military at risk of life through an immense sense of pride in our country, the United States of America. They are the brave. They are Americans. They are Veterans.