Pop Goes the Pop-Up Store

Two Middlebrook Students Make Their School Store Vision a Reality

The+Pop-Up+Store+is+run+completely+by+students%2C+for+students.++
The Pop-Up Store is run completely by students, for students.

Fiona O., Staff Writer

Squishy balls, eraser ducks, and locker mirrors — oh my! Some Middlebrook students may recall Cider Mill’s immensely popular school store. Now, Middlebrook has a school store called the Pop Up Store! The idea was started by two seventh graders, Jessica and Lauren. Mrs. Leonard, who helped facilitate the idea to bring back the Pop Up Store, says, “I think for Jess and Lauren, that was part of the idea, of ‘Why is it at Cider Mill and not here?”   

Unlike Cider Mill though, this school store is run entirely by students, with a little help from adults. Students man the store for 20 minutes each morning from 8:00 to 8:20, selling a variety of useful and fun items.  In addition to Mrs. Leonard, Mrs. Ellis, the Media Center Specialist, helped to make Jessica and Lauren’s vision become a reality. “A few students were interested in bringing back the schools store,” says Mrs. Leonard, “We used to have a school store years ago and it was something they were interested in starting up again. We went to administration with the idea of bringing it back and they said, ‘Why not try bringing it back for a month and make a pop up store?’ So, that’s what we did.” They started the Pop-Up Store in the library and posted signs all over the school to make sure people knew about it.

Students are given opportunities to work at the school store if they volunteer. “It’s really fun because there’s always new people and there’s always new stuff and it’s always fun to set up and have the customers come in,” says Alexis, a seventh grader who works at the stand. “I feel like the first couple of weeks were really successful and we’re still thinking of new ways to get people to come. We have over 150 signatures of people who want to keep it going.” The signature list she’s talking about is a sheet that students passed around at the cafeteria one day, when the Pop-Up Store was situated there. If a student wanted to keep it going, they would sign the sheet. The sheet was also kept at the Pop-Up Store for customers to sign.

Anna, a sixth grader on 6-Red, was one of the people who signed the sheet. She has bought supplies from the Pop-Up Store multiple times. “It’s really cool. It has everything from pencils to erasers,” she says. A favorite item of hers is a sparkly, red pencil that she bought.

She’s not the only one who loves the Pop-Up Store, though. Lots of other students know about it, but more need to get involved to keep it going. “We’ve been asking for students to get more involved,” says Mrs. Leonard. “Right now, [working at the stand,] we have the two students who were interested and started it. That’s Jessica and another seventh-grader, Lauren. These two students were the ones that went and had the idea. We have their friends, other students, Mrs. Ellis, and some of the kids from the library, to help us out too. So, we’re looking for people to get more involved.”

Currently, the Pop-Up Store has a lot of supplies for sale. Each pencil or pen is only 50, with glue sticks, depending on their size, being either 50or $1. If you need somewhere to put the pencils and glue sticks you buy, pencil cases cost only $5!

“It’s a place to go when your binder breaks in the middle of the day or to grab a pencil or a pen,” says Mrs. Leonard. Their binders only cost $10 and have ample room to store the various items they can provide for you. Their $5 packs of paper can be put between $2.50 dividers, so that students don’t get their subjects mixed up. Children can place the $5 notebooks in their math section, so that they’re all ready for note-taking. Students often have to make flashcards to memorize vocabulary in science class, facts in social studies, and French verbs and adjectives in French class. The school store sells index cards that cost as little as $1.50. Superhero erasers, smiley cap erasers, gel pens, sketch paper, and more can be purchased at bargain prices at the school store.

The sign behind the school store explains that the Pop-Up Store will be open all year in bold blue letters. Beneath it, it states that they will be in the lobby on the first Monday of every month and that they will be in the cafeteria every other Friday during lunches.

“It’s the advertising,” Mrs. Leonard says, explaining how they are trying to attract students to the Pop Up Store. “We’ve been trying to do announcements, to just get the word out that we’re open. We went to the cafeteria once to let people know we’re here. So, we hope to do more of that and let people know what we have and stuff like that.”

As she states, they have already been to the cafeteria once and are planning on doing it many more times. “We’ll be there every other week or every other Friday. I’ve heard from some students that it’s hard to get there in the morning because their bus is late or they’re trying to get to class. So, we’re thinking about going to the cafeteria more.” Students can expect the Pop-Up Store in the cafeteria sometime soon. If they can’t wait, they should stop by the library in the morning.