Eight-Green Students Partner with Bridgeport Rescue Mission

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrew, Staff Writer

Eight-Green students at Middlebrook School are coming together to participate in the Bridgeport Rescue Mission. The Bridgeport Rescue Mission is an organization that is “fighting poverty from the inside out.” They help poor families have access to food, clothing, and shelter. They also help with addiction recovery. The Bridgeport Rescue Mission works to “restore hope tomorrow and transform hurting lives forever.”

This year, 8 Green students are donating clothing items to the foundation. Signs and posters were put up all over the school asking for coats, new socks, new hats and gloves, sweaters, and gently used blankets. By donating clean and usable clothing, poor families in Fairfield County have a new sense of dignity and can consider a new way forward.

The schoolwide donation started fifteen years ago when the 8-Green teachers found out that the Bridgeport Rescue Mission was looking for items to be donated. “We found out that the shelter was in need of warm coats and blankets. We felt we could help them and provide gently used items that they would be able to use. This is a way we could help our community,” says Mrs. Festa, the 8-Green team leader.

It’s not just the teachers that are helping the communities around Fairfield County. Students of 8-Green participated fully.  According to Mrs. Festa, “The students created posters to display in the school hallways, made announcements in the morning to encourage students and staff to bring in items for the drive. They also collected and placed the cardboard boxes throughout the school in the individual teams.” This created a first-hand experience for students in participating in a community event.

“As a school community, one of the many things we value is citizenship and social responsibility,” says Ms. Prata, a teacher at Middlebrook School, “So, I think that finding ways to reach out to our larger community and support it is something we value and should continue.”